Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thursday's Point of Interest

We actually got on the road on Thursday morning at about 6:10. (That’s not too bad for our family on a vacation with the added concern of not missing anything for Valerie or me for the next two and a half months or so.)

At one point we hit some pretty slow traffic, but when we got to what was actually holding everything up, I thought it was rather humorous. Something must have happened to a truck full of bags of ice because, as we drove by, there were several young men tossing ice into a new truck, bag by bag! I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that anybody got a picture of that.

Back many miles, I was watching the sunrise as we began our journey and was being reminded of how beautiful they are and how wonderful it is to be up early enough to watch it and not be rushing to the next thing. To be honest, it has been quite a while since the last time I just sat back and watched the sun rise, but we serve a God Who makes each one unique and beautiful, if we will just take the time to notice His handiwork in the skies!

Oh, and for those of you who wonder how we get everybody up so early and then plan a big, long day and expect everyone to survive, we do sleep just fine in the car. (Thankfully, the driver doesn’t.) We took two vans and, though I don’t know about the other van, most of the folks in our van slept. Others rested. One of us usually tries to stay awake and alert in case the driver (usually Daddy) needs anything (or just somebody to talk to).

One thing that doesn’t really thrill all of us, but does help to provide entertainment and excitement for the little ones (which happened to be in the van I was in) was a hot air balloon. We also saw a blimp and that just thrilled those little siblings of mine.

After traveling “mile after magnificent mile” (as one rest stop I was at a few weeks ago labeled them), we reached the Henry Ford Museum.

Here is a picture of a train with a gigantic snow plow. (I noticed it was called the Canadian Pacific.)

I’m sorry this is such a blurry picture, but this is an 1896 Riker Electric Tricycle that I thought was pretty interesting.

“A tiny carriage owned by General Tom Thumb and his Tiny Wife” is what the label says. (This thing was really tiny. I took the pictures with the camera at my eye-level!)

This bike could carry ten people at once – wouldn’t that make an interesting big-family trip?!

The building itself was pretty neat – look at this ceiling!


One more picture. We kept the stuff separated so we would be sure that there would be enough space for all the rest of the family’s stuff on the way back. So, this is a picture of the back of the van that had all of Valerie and my stuff and only our stuff. Yes, our stack of stuff is as deep as my cello case is tall. We both feel like we’re taking a ton of stuff (you see, we both tend to be quite the light packers), but we keep reminding ourselves that we’re not packing for a week, we’re packing for several months and we’re not packing just to survive, we’re packing to live there for a while. Anyways, this is the picture.


I guess that last post wasn’t my last before November, but I wouldn’t expect too many more, if I were you. :-)

~Heidi

No comments: